Monday, March 3, 2014

The one-line-a-day journal is not for me.

I was visiting my sister last year in Seattle, and we were browsing the books in one of her neighborhood bookshops when I stumbled upon this charming little journal called One Line a Day.  Instantly, the journal appealed to me, and I am not sure exactly why.  Maybe it was the pale blue color with the elegant gold lettering and gold-dipped page edges, or maybe it was just the simplicity of it-of having to just write one line a day.  What a cool idea, I thought. What I should have thought was, what a cool idea for somebody else.



As someone who has kept a journal on and off my whole life, I realize there are many words to describe my writing style, but concise is not one of them.  Whenever I tell a story of any kind, I need to include some details, voice, emotion, and sometimes a little back story.  Otherwise, it's just a really lame report without much substance.

And honestly, who gives a flying crap about a lame report?  Even when I read back at old journal entries, I need to find my own self entertaining.  Just the facts are not enough for me.  Also, just in case someone decides to be nosy and read through my journals, I need to make this shit sound interesting.

Anyway, it was as if this stupid little journal had cast a spell upon me, causing me to believe that one line a day is enough.  And for a while, I drank that stupid little blue book's potion.  I'd somehow pick up my pen and scribble a crappy sentence which I deemed worthy of summarizing my day.  This worked for a few months.  Then my entries started looking like this:


After a while, writing in that journal left me feeling increasingly unfulfilled and stifled.  As much as I wanted to like it, it just wasn't satisfying my needs.  It was like dating someone you're just not that into.  Frankly, I was tired of faking it all the time, and I have since wised up and returned to my old ways.

Although I have returned to my old journal that I know and love, every once in a while, I feel bad for that sad little blue book on my shelf and decide to write a sentence inside.  This leaves me feeling like one of those dumb girls that tries to work things out with an ex when it never really worked in the first place.

Here is one that I wrote in February of this year after a moment of weakness:

It says, "It is really windy today."
I'm not falling for your tricks anymore, Blue.  We're over for good this time.  Now, go find yourself someone that is satisfied with being concise and boring.

12 comments:

  1. You should pass it on to a blogger or a friend and then have them pass it on to someone else and get lines from different people. Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a similar thing with a listography journal once... now it collects dust on my desk at work. Just found my way over to your blog via 20sb.... and enjoy what I am reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I'm new to blogging, so it's really nice to hear people tell me they're enjoying reading my blog!

      Delete
  3. HAHA I love this. Brilliant comparison to a non working relationsip. "It is really windy today" I was laughing through most of this. another bullseye jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks. A shitty relationship was really the best comparison that I could think of. I tried so hard to make it work, but I just wasn't feeling it.

      Delete
  4. Well done Jackie! If I ever owned a journal...old blue is what my journals would have looked like! I'm with Tom...love your comparison to a non working relationship.

    I have to say, I didn't even like reading until I was 40, but fell in love with it when I did! Lately, I've been working so hard on my new business, that I haven't had time to read, although that hasn't stopped me from buying novels I want to read, and then stack them up on the coffee table waiting for me. I'm so enjoying your blog! Your quick reads are refreshing, and take me away for a minute. But, I am looking forward to a novel you'll write some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your support :). I didn't even add that relationship comparison on until the end. I was proof-reading and realized that it was starting to sound like those really dysfunctional relationships you hear about. So, I added it on there. I'm glad that I did.

      I'm with you on the reading thing. I go through phases of reading a ton and then not picking up a book for months. It always helps to read short stories or something really light before you get back into wanting to read a huge novel. Oh, and podcasts. I love listening to Selected Shorts for a good short story, and I'll just listen to it while I go for a walk, commute to work, or get ready for the day.

      Delete
  5. And, I'm sure I won't be able to put your novel on that pile waiting to read! The reason I don't start reading those books, is because I know once I do, it's all I will do until I'm finished reading the book. But, I can't wait to turn the first page of your first novel! I already know, I'll be hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but don't get too excited about a novel written by me. That seems like a dream that is pretty far beyond my grasp right now, but I have always wanted to write a book someday :)

      Delete
  6. I keep a blank journal in my downstairs bathroom that serves as my "line-a-day" journal and guestbook. It might seem weird to ask people to write you a note while theyre in the toilet but they get into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, that's a great idea! I bet you get some interesting notes in that guestbook!

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs